Saturday, August 22, 2009

Chennai... The story so far... (Contd.)

As the year 2007 ended, we were all amazed that we have spent one full year in Chennai. But by then our bunch of friends from Manipal had come very close. We were almost always together cooperating with each other, celebrating together, and ofcourse working together in office. I had moved to a different project by then and none of my friends from my group were there. Weekends used to be quite relieving coz of holiday at office.

Birthdays

Birthdays used to be special for all of us. We celebrated all birthdays in style, the same way as we did in Manipal. After all we are all Manipalites :) And Birthday celebrations were strictly at 12:00 am and the celebration had to be a surprise for the person whose b'day we're celebrating. This was followed for a long time. Things are different now.

And the B'day treats!!! We always waited for clubbing two bday treats into one. Sometimes we had to wait long but then it was always fun. Being with collegemates always gave us a feeling that we were still in college. I know this was really the best time and all of us would miss it wherever they are.



My Onsite Dream

Ha ha. Dream word is funny!
Towards the end of 2007, one of my onsite counterparts decided to come back to India. As per the normal trend in TCS I had to replace that guy by Jan 2008. My manager called me one day asked me to start my visa processing. I was taken aback. I had a dream about onsite like every other software guy. I knew a day would come when I would travel abroad. But the day was here and I wasn't even ready for that. I agreed for onsite and informed my parents about it. I had to decide on this as I was also preparing for MBA and wished to join a college by May 2008. My parents were very happy to know this and started advising me how to stay abroad. My friends were also surprised because this was the first news of onsite among our bunch of friends. They congratulated me and I acknowledged.

I prepared my visa documents and sent it to Manager for review. He had to review and send his approval to the concerned department. He delayed. I grew anxious. He delayed further. Towards the end of Dec 2007 I came to know that the position at onsite was being scrapped. But nothing was told to me officially. I had little hope by then. When I came back after New Year holidays, I was officially told that the Management has decided not to sent anybody to occupy the vacant onsite position. I was really sad but my Manager gave hope to me by approving me for H1B visa. I wasn't happy but hopeful. I came to know that H1B visa is a lottery thing and you have to be lucky to be selected for that. I decided to leave the project if I was not selected for the lottery. Lottery results was supposed to be out by April. I decided to wait.

Meanwhile two of our friends also got a similar opportunity and were in the process of preparing their visa docs. I had hope that I would join them after my H1B visa is made. Also the results of my MBA entrace exams were out and I could not find any decent college which accepted my score. I had no other option but to wait for my visa. The lottery results for the visa were out and I was among the lucky ones. This made me happy as well as hopeful coz the visa would come by Oct 2008. I had to wait again.

Out of the other two people who started their visa process, only one got her visa. The other person (Rohit, my roommate) had bad luck as his application was rejected. Arpita, who got her visa was supposed to travel now. This was the first time somebody from our group was going onsite. It was very exciting for all of us. She finally left for US on 9th June, 2008. We all went to the Airport to bid her goodbye. I was assumed to be the person leaving from the Airport the next! But nobody knew what was in store for me. :P

6 comments:

Mou said...

hmm.. :)
i think u told me about the onsite thing... did u? i think i remember the thing getting cancelled !
I have a bad memory though.

waiting to know what was in store for you? :)

P.S. You write well :)

Maurya said...

Yeah I must have told u.. Infact I told everybody!!! :( Some still ask me about it. I then have to narrate the story to them.. :(

Thanks for the compliment though I guess this is just a minuscule attempt.. :)

Paritosh said...

hmmmm... maurya babu... tum to kahani likhne lage be. Aur photua mein bada chamak rahe ho? Love ka asar hai ki dove ka? ;)

Anyways, nice writing. Just do a proof reading before u publish, kahin kahin pe kuch kuch words miss kar diye ho. Guess marna padta hai. Bhauji ko bolo... wo kar dengi. :D

Waiting to read more about ur exploits!!

Maurya said...

Achha.. Thanks for pointing out dude.. I will take care from now onwards. The story will continue.. :)

Unknown said...

Wah Maurya… who beete din yaad aa gaye... Sob Sob... being nostalgic ;) ... nice pics... those pleasant birthday memories...cakes that used to go more on the face than in the tummy :D ... nice blog :)

Maurya said...

Thanks hai bhai.. Yeh kya id hai "francamis"?? Mystery kya hai? ;)